Thursday, September 22, 2011

You know that silence that comes after you've been talking for so long? I think that's the worst kind of silence there is. You expect someone to react. Anything at all, really. Even just a grunt from a friend, or even a nod, or a slight eyebrow rise. That annoying scrape of a chair being pulled back, or the creak of a door swinging open. A flicker of light from a fluctuating lightbulb, a rustle from the turning pages of an open book. A stuffed toy animal speaking, or the couch moving away from you.

But nothing. Nothing at all, and you realize how alone you are. You turn around and everyone's asking you.

What did you say? they ask.

Fuck you, I've been talking for the past hour! I've expressed my anger on the budget cuts! The cabbies asking for a higher flag-down rate! The preposterous labor fees for getting my MacBook repaired! The long walk from the campus to the mall! Does no one listen to me? you scream.

And then you realize that no one said anything, and everyone's now staring at you, surprised at your outburst.

What are you talking about? they ask.

I'm sorry, I must have drifted off. What are we talking about?


And again you realize that no one's talking to you.

Did anyone say anything? you ask the wind. It whispers back what did you say?


What did you say? 


And nothing. Nothing at all. And you realize how alone you are.






No comments:

Post a Comment